Burleigh County North Dakota - link home
County Commission Departments Boards/Committee About Transparency Portal Property Information
Contact Us Elections Job Listings Maps Public Notices Townships Links How Do I? News Events

Facebook Twitterprinter friendly page


contact card holder

Contact Information

Bismarck and Burleigh Building Inspections
221 N 5th St
Bismarck, ND 58506
Phone: (701) 355-1465

ND Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
Gateway Professional Center
1050 E Interstate Avenue Suite 200,
Bismarck, ND 58503
Phone: (701) 328-3404
Email: ndag@nd.gov

ND Secretary of State
600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 108, 1st Floor
Bismarck ND 58505-0500
Telephone: (701) 328-2900
Email: sos@nd.gov

Legal Services:
Free Disaster Legal Service Available to North Dakota Residents in Five Disaster-Designated Counties

Bismarck-Mandan Homebuilders Association
Contractor/Member Listing


Attention Contractors: Before providing services or commencing work in North Dakota, an individual or business must be licensed by the State. Failure to obtain appropriate state licensure may result in arrest, criminal prosecution, and/or civil penalties. Please review the checklist:

Contractor Compliance Checklist
•Review Transient Merchant License information

A solicitation license is issued by the City of Bismarck Administration Office, 221 N 5th St, Bismarck (4th Floor).

  • Application
  • $200.00 application fee, plus $25 per sales rep
  • Federal tax ID
  • Sales reps that are NOT local must apply for the transient merchant license through the ND Attorney General's Office. They must also provide us a copy of a picture ID.
  • Each application is sent to the Bismarck Police Department for background checks.


    Picture of the front page of letter
    The Burleigh County Sheriff's Department sent a letter on July 27, 2011 to residents in the flooded areas to provide information regarding disasters scams, property protections, choosing contractors, and building permits. To view the information provided, please click here.

    Choosing a Contractor (Source: ND Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division)
    • Warning Signs
    • Quick Tips
    • Research
    • Bids
    • Insurance
    • Contract

    Contractor Licensing

    All contractors must be licensed by the Secretary of State before they perform any work.

    Contact the Secretary of State at 701-328-3665, or toll-free 1-800-352-0867, or check online

    Flooded House
    Disaster Scams (Source: ND Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division)
    • Common Scams
    • Transient Merchants
    • Right to Cancel
    • Rebuilding
    • Choosing a Contractor

    Benefits of Building Permits Brochure Logo
    Permits (When is a permit required?)
    Benefits of Building Permits
    A permit is required for the following projects. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, please contact the Bismarck and Burleigh County Building Inspection Division at (701) 355-1465.

    •New Construction
    •Additions/ Renovations/ Remodels
    oBasement Finish

    •Electrical Wiring
    oWater Heater
    oAir Conditioner
    oUnit Heater

    Transient Merchants (Source: ND Office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division)
    If someone comes to your door offering to do home repairs, ask to see the "Transient Merchant's License." All transient merchants must be licensed and bonded by the Licensing division of the Attorney General's office. You may be able to file a claim
    against the bond if you have a problem with the product or service.

    Contact the Licensing division at 701-328-2329 or check the current State Transient Merchant License holders online on the "License Holders" link.

    Contact your local law enforcement agency immediately if the contractor cannot produce the transient merchant license.